Or better yet, decorate one!
I think this may be my first IKEA hack. Although I’m not sure it counts as a hack if you still use it for the purpose it was designed for. I’m not using a bed to make a fence or anything like that (don’t laugh, someone really did that!) I just took a very generic chair that looked very… well, IKEA and turned it into something with a bit more personality. I actually had two chairs so I tried a couple of different things. So what did I start with?
Not a bad looking chair! And we used one of these for a while in our kitchen at our old house so I can confidently say that it’s really comfy for a wooden chair. And survives a toddler very well! But I thought they could use a little somethin’somethin’. I’ve been wanting to try “dipping” some legs for a while so that was my first step. I taped off the legs at the same height all round:
and covered up the rest of the chair, before I sprayed the legs a lovely matt black:
That Rustoleum 2 x spraypaint is absolutely amazing stuff. I love it! I wish they had gold in it….. Anyhoo, I digress. Back to the chairs. So I sprayed the legs in a very modern matt black and they looked like this:
I must admit that I quite like them just like this. But it doesn’t make a big enough difference for a good ‘before and after’! And I’d also seen this image below which inspired me:
I thought triangles would be a nice easy shape to cut out from my trusty $3 roll of vinyl from Bunnings!
I was aiming for a look that was even but not perfect. I wanted it to look like a hand printed material. But on a chair. So I used washi tape to mark out some even lines on the seat and then placed my triangles by hand, without measuring their placement.
After I trimmed the edges and removed the tape, I did the same on the upper portion of the chair. And voila! A finished chair!
I thought I would have a go at using just some washi tape on the other chair – a great way to make a design that you don’t want to be permanent! I used the yellow washi tape since I had it out already. I started with random yellow stripes on the seat. I planned to do a few vertical stripes on the chair back but I ran out of tape! I still liked the look though and will be interested to see how it lasts. Here are the finished chairs:
And one last time, here is the Before and After: